About Professor Yogesh Mehta
Professor Mehta was Director and Dean, Nirma Institute of Law, NIRMA University and earlier Head and Dean Postgraduate Department of Law Saurashtra University as also earlier officiated as Vice-Chancellor of Saurashtra University for about a year and half. Prior to this Dr. Mehta was Professor (Gujarat Education Service Class I) . Still earlier he was principal of Government Law College at Rajkot. He is known as for his organising and academic professional abilities among which he has held various responsible positions. He has been the Secretary General of All India Law Teachers’ Association, Executive Member of the Indian Institute of Law, Co-opted Expert Member of the Bar Council of Gujarat, SEBI nominee Expert Member of the Managing Council of the Saurashtra Kutch Stock Exchange (SKSE); Senior Consultant, Gujarat State Legal Services Authority(GSLSA); Member, Executive Council of the Banking Services Recruitment Board(BSRB) ; and number of other National and State Agencies and Institutions. Professor Mehta has also been a Visiting Faculty and has lectured in leading universities in India and abroad. Professor Mehta earned the distinction of the Professorship under Justice Sir LA Shah Chair of the University of Bombay. Under the aegis of the Chair delivered a series of lectures on Corporate Law at the University of Bombay. In recognition of contribution in constitutional law he was a honoured to deliver lectures on Constitutional Law under the aegis B R Ambedkar Chair of M S University, Baroda. Recently the Rashtriya Raksha University has honoured him by recognising his experience and contribution to the nation in Law, Policy and Governance as well as strong affiliations with various institutions and experts in similar domains as it will greatly help the School of Law, Humanities and Social Science in furthering the cause of inter-disciplinary education, research and training. In recognition of his contribution, the university honoured Dr. Mehta as Emeritus Recourse Professor.
Professor Mehta holds Master’s Degree in Law and also in English literature and language from Gujarat University. Professor Mehta has been awarded Ph.D in Corporate Law by Saurashtra University. The University Grants Commission (UGC) sought his expert views as a Member of the Expert Committee to upgrade learning resources and infrastructure of the National Law School India University, Bangalore. The UGC and Central Government also sought his Report as an Expert on the working and improvement of the Education Tribunal of Gujarat State.
Professor Mehta was consulted by the UGC in establishing the Post Graduate Department of Law having a first multidisciplinary integrated legal education programmes under the Faculty of Law, Saurashtra University. Professor Mehta gave his pioneering landmark contribution in submitting an Expert Report to Justice Ahmedi subcommittee in which Mr. Justice Kirpal Singh was a member of the committee, through whom the report was submitted. Professor Mehta is a keen academician and researcher of long standing. Having wide and in depth experience in guiding Master’s degree and Ph.D dissertations. He has been, over a number of years, a member of Research Degree Committee in leading universities. Professor Mehta has authored couple of law books and his research papers and articles have been published in law journals of repute most of the time, in new and often unexplored areas.
- Ph.D. awarded by Saurashtra University, 1985 : Area of Research: Corporate Law
- LL.M. Gujarat University 1969.
- MA. Gujarat University 1957.
- LL.B. Gujarat University 1955.
- B.A. (Hons.) Gujarat University 1953.
- Visiting Professor Judicial Academy, High Court of Gujarat, Sola, Ahmedabad. Since 1995.
- Honorary Professor & Senior Consultant Nirma University, Institute of Law, Sola, Ahmedabad. Since 2011.
- Member, Advisory Committee, Indian Institute of Teachers’ Education, Gandhinagar. Since April 2012. Honorary Professor guiding Doctoral Research Programmes.
- Special Invitee Member Academic Council, Gujarat National Law University (GNLU), Gandhinagar, since June 2012.
- Legal Advisor, Sports University, teachers University, Gandhinagar.(SGSU) 2011-2014.
- Director and Dean, (Nirma University. Institute of Law (ILNU), Ahmedabad.) 2008-2009.
- Professor Head and Dean, Post Graduate Department of Law and Faculty of Law, Saurashtra University, Rajkot. 1986-1994.
- Acting Vice-Chancellor, Saurashtra University. 1985-1986.
- Principal, Government Law College & Dean Faculty of Law, Saurashtra University.1976-1986.
- Professor of Law, Government Law College, Rajkot. 1966-1976.
- Member, Syndicate and Academic Council, Saurashtm University, Rajkot. 1976-1994.
- Member Executive Council, Indian Institute of Law, New Delhi. 1976-1979.
- Secretary (General, All India Law Teachers’ Association, Hyderabad, India. 1975-1976.
- Treasurer, All India Law Teachers’ Association, Hydenbad, India. 1974-1975.
- Associated with leading Universities in India such as Indian Law Institute; New Delhi, University of Bombay; Mumbai, University of Allahabad, University of Bhopal (Barkarullah University), Osmania University; Hyderabad, M.S. University; Baroda, Jodhpur University; Jodhpur, Calcutta University, Calcutta etc. in various capacities as guest lecturer and member of academic bodies. Also delivered lectures in Kent College of Law, Chicago, U.S.A. (Academic Activities ranging from 1970-1994).
- Recipient of Sir Justice LA.Shah Chair Law Professorship of the University of Bombay under which series of lectures on Corporate law delivered. 1987-1988.
- Awarded Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar Chair Law Professorship on Constitutional Law, Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda. 1992-1993.
- Special Invitee, Member Academic Council, Gujarat National Law University (GNLU). 2006-2008.
- Member (Expert invitee), Executive Council Bar Council of Gujarat. 1995-1997.
- SEBI nominee Director, Saurashtra & Kutch Stock Exchange, Raikot, (SKSE). 1996-1998.
- Member Executive Council, Banking Services Recruitment Board (BSRB) of Public Sector Banks, Western Region, Baroda. 1983-1993.
- Advocate, High Court of Bombay (1958-1960); High Court of Gujarat 1960-1966.
- Supervised and guided dissertations towards Masters’ Degree in Law of more than 70 successful candidates mainly in the areas of Constitutional Law and Corporate Law as well as current problems Of Law and Society. 1970-1994.
- Supervised and guided doctoral dissertations of four candidates who were awarded Ph.D. Degree in Law (1984-1994).
- Senior Consultant and Head Research & Development, Legal Services Authority, High Court of Gujarat, Ahmedabad. 2000-2003.
|1. Research Papers/Articles published in Law Journals||more than 75|
|2. Law Conferences/Seminars||more than 125|
|3. Books published||03|
|4. Expert Committee Reports||04|
|5. Book Reviews||04|
|6. Articles in Newspapers/Magazines||25|
- Regular invitee to panel discussions/talks/interviews on Aakashwani (AIR) and Doordarshan (DD) mainly in the areas of Constitutional Law, Law and Society and current affairs.
- Report on the National Law School of India (NLSIU), Bangalore as Member of the Expert Committee visiting the Law School in 1993.
- Evaluation Report on the working and effectiveness of the EDUCATIONAL TRIBUNAL, Gujarat State, Ahmedabad, in 1998.